Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Birthday Week!

I had the best birthday so far because I got to spend it surrounded by the Filipino people here in Bogo. I got to spend it here in the Philippines under the heat and the palm trees and the flowers and teaching and testifying to people of the truthfulness of the gospel in Bisaya. I love this crazy language, and constantly learning new words. 

I also got to teach an FHE lesson this week. We had about 30 people there. I used an analogy of three cotton balls. One got no rubbing alcohol (doesn't keep the commandments) one got a little bit of alcohol (sometimes keeps the commandments) and the third was completely doused in alcohol (always keeps the commandments). Then I set them all on fire. The first one masiga dayon. The second one burned more slowly, but still burned. The third one stayed a white cotton ball despite the flames. We then discussed how the commandments are a protection to us and how they strengthen us from within. Then we played games and ate pancit, bread, and soda (a Filipino party classic haha). 

This week I learned how to weave a puso na saging (hanging rice)! But I'm not sure if I remember, I may have to be shown again haha.

I spent the day after my 21st birthday throwing up, but not for the usual reason 21-year-olds throw up. I hadn't eaten all morning, then at lunch I ate 1/2 a kilo of landsonies I bought off the street, followed up with cold water (shocking to the system in this heat) and a LOT of walking. Then during the last lesson of the day, I felt soooo nauseous. I managed to finish the lesson and get out of the Nanay's house before I started vomiting up the water and fruit. Then it was awkward because the lady and my companion are both rubbing my back and holding my hair and suggesting things like massages and menthol oils (the cure for EVERYTHING here haha) but after getting it all out of my system, I was totally fine.

I hope you all had the chance to hear General Conference! We just barely got to watch it this weekend, and it was wonderful! I especially loved President Monson's simple and direct invitation to live the gospel and be an example to others. 


Last night we had a choice experience. We went out to work in this little baranguay on the mountainside. We have been praying to find investigators. We were seeking the name of a potential investigator in the area book. Instead we found her sister who agreed to listen to us. She then invited her cousin, her two sisters and her cousin's wife! Nindot! Soon, Sister Dayhop and I found ourselves teaching the message of the Restoration to five young women! One left before the lesson began, one left before the lesson ended. Of the 3 that stayed for the whole lesson, 2 actively participated. Of the two that participated, one requested for us to continue teaching her and set an appointment. 

That is the difficulty of missionary work. We need to talk to MANY people if we want to find ONE who is actually prepared and ready to accept the gospel into their lives. I'd like to invite all of you to talk about the gospel to your friends and peers and passersby. The Gospel is the way to happiness. Walay laing agianan. Without the help of members, without the courage of the members to speak up and share the truth, the work can't progress!

"As members of the Church, we are responsible to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to illuminate the great blessings that flow from heeding God's commandments as well as the inevitable consequences of ignoring them. We invite you to pray that people everywhere will have their hearts softened to the truths of the gospel and that wisdom will be granted to those who are called upon to decide issues critical to society's future." -Elder M. Russell Ballard "The Lord Needs you Now" ALSO SEE Mosiah 2:41

Sigi, wala na, amping kanunay!
-sister bertoldo


No comments:

Post a Comment