Thursday, October 8, 2015

Pagkananay



Kamusta!

I'm feeling more like a "real" missionary as a trainer- I get to take initiative and make things happen. It's scary, in a good way

 Right now we are working on strengthening less active members through:
1. Setting up Home and Visiting teaching
2. FHE every Saturday night at a different LA's house
3. bringing active members as kuyog
4. Inviting EVERYONE to attend General Conference

My new companion is a huge blessing....she is pure Bisayan. My past companions spoke English and Tagalog and learned Bisaya here on the mission, but Sister Dayhop is PURE Bisaya. I just copy her pronunciation all day, and she's under strict orders to correct what I say wrong. It's so helpful. I know enough of the language to teach, but I want to expand my ability to: fluency- I want to really converse and relate to the people. It's hard to be patient with myself in the language! I'm really loving Bisaya.

Favorite new foods:
1. Landzones and rambutan fruit.....for description, read 1 Nephi 8:11 (haha)
2. Tamarind candy, imported from Thailand, it's so good! Not sweet, more like "aslum".
3. Natural Ginger candy....Relieves stress. So good!
4. Fresh Lato (a type of seaweed) with vinegar and boiled camotes.

You can't imagine unsa ka lami until you eat it for yourself!

Great Teaching Experience as a Trainer:
We were in a lesson. I felt a lot of pressure leading, opening, inviting, teaching, TALKING! I started getting scrambled, like my thoughts wouldn't align and I was messing up my Bisaya and trying to memorize things on the spot. Then I paused and a wave of calm came over me and I felt the words "you don't need to do everything. Let your companion talk, she has something to say" So I stopped talking and turned to her. She proceeded to relate a personal story to them that was just what they needed to hear. The Spirit filled the room. She was crying so it became my turn to take over and continue the lesson. Without thinking or reading anything, I just tied the lesson into her experience and into the commitment for them in seamless Bisaya. The words just came. I know that when we let the Spirit work instead of trying to do everything on our own, mahimong ta malampuson. 

"Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true" -Alma 32:21

cge amping mo, kita kits!

sister bertoldo

No comments:

Post a Comment