Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Week of Miracles

This week was full of miracles.
We have 2 IBD's scheduled for March 8, Bernadette and Karla, and I am just so proud of the branch here in Baclayon for how loving and welcoming they are to the investigators we bring to church. That.makes.all.the difference! They've come to church 2 Sundays now and REALLY enjoyed it :) They both came that first Sunday at our invitation just by themselves, but now they are friends with each other, friends with all the other teenagers in the branch...they even have a crush on one of the young men haha. But they are really understanding the lessons and so excited to be baptized!
We had FHE with a less-active family and it was a really spiritual experience for them. For the lesson I compared their home to a city and told them an attacking enemy was headed our way, what should we do? They said, shut the doors, defend the house! Then we read Alma 50:1-6 and discussed how just like a city has to great barriers, defenses, and even some offensive tactics to thwart an enemy, a family has to also create spiritual protection if it wants to overcome the many, many evil influences of the world today. Then we played tons of games and they ate tons of food haha.
There was one night this week we were traveling home from a late appointment and at night there is rarely a dyeep to catch on the highway. We had 3 small children with us, running around and we're trying to keep them in control. There.was.no.sakyanan. After an hour, I'm like really worried now, it was DARK. And LATE. And FAR. Then, Queen, the little girl we were with who is a recent convert, says to me, "Sister, why don't we just say a prayer?" So of course, I'm like sure. And she's like who should say it? And I thought to myself that the prayer would be stronger coming from her since she has such a pure faith and isn't all stressed like I was. So I told her to say it. She said a short simple prayer and opened her eyes, and immediately, a single djeepney turns the bend. He was on his way home but let us jump in. Prayer works, but we have to have the faith of a child! 

Bohol is amazing. I don't know how I got so lucky to be assigned to serve a mission in Bohol/Cebu, one of the most beautiful parts of the entire world? The sunsets are like.....you just can't be stressed anymore while staring at them!
A major focus for me in my work right now is
1. asking inspired questions that really help my investigators make connections and LEARN
2. cultivating an attitude of constant gratitude!

"Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings, but it also unlocks the doors of heaven!" -President Monson

Amping kanunay!
-Sister Bertoldo
Pictures: Queen Ahat, and our FHE group picture :)

No comments:

Post a Comment